Join us as we showcase the community events, explore new research and screen films specially made during this year of celebration and look to how we can continue to support our City of Film.
2021 marked the centenary of the death of Bristol-born film pioneer William Friese-Greene. It was also the 125th anniversary of the first public cinema screening in Bristol, which took place at the Tivoli on 8 June 1896. This followed the first British film screening earlier that year when the Polytechnic Institute, Regent Street, hosted a display of the Lumière brothers’ new moving picture device, the Cinématographe.
Film2021 is a multi-partner collaborative project that celebrates the city as a world-renowned centre for film-making – past, present and future – and explores wider social, technological and creative issues relating to cinema. Opening Up the Magic Box is a specific heritage element of the project that is supported by the National Lottery Heritage Fund using money raised by National Lottery players.
The event runs 17:00-18:30 and there will be time for networking afterwards.
Illustration by Willem Hampson
In the interest of audience and staff safety we are grateful if you would continue to wear a mask if possible and make space when moving around the venue. Please stay home if you’re experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19 (these are listed on the NHS website) or if you’ve recently been in contact with someone who has the virus.
Accessibility: Royal Photographic Society
More information about the Royal Photographic Society can be found here.
- Within RPS House, all areas are fully accessible with a lift, ramps and restrooms on each floor.
- If you have any accessibility requirements, please contact us on RPSHouse@rps.org in advance so the team can assist you in your visit.
- Though there is some accessible parking in Paintworks, there are private parking spaces that can be reserved for those with accessibility requirements. Please contact RPS in advance if you would like a space reserved.
- From street level car parking there are lifts available to reach RPS House on the raised ground floor.
- There is level access to the event space.
- There are toilets for public use.
- Guide and assistance dogs are welcome.