Les Misérables (2019) Film screening
Inspired by the 2005 Paris riots, director Ladj Ly's Oscar-nominated Les Misérables is a hugely topical provocative insight into the tensions between neighbourhood residents and police.
Stéphane (Damien Bonnard) has recently joined the Anti-Crime Squad in Montfermeil, the suburbs of Paris where Victor Hugo set his famed novel Les Misérables. Alongside his new colleagues Chris (Alexis Manenti) and Gwada (Djebril Zonga) – both experienced members of the team – he quickly discovers tensions running high between local gangs. When the trio finds themselves overrun during the course of an arrest, a drone captures the encounter, threatening to expose the reality of everyday life.
Director: Ladj Ly
Cast: Damien Bonnard, Alexis Manenti, Djebril Zonga
15 / France / 105 mins / French, Bambara (with English subtitles)
Presented as part of Future City Film Festival, which takes place biennially in the autumn but had to be postponed last year due to the pandemic. It will now run through 2022 as a series of special events with the support of the British Film Institute awarding funds from National Lottery.
Booking is managed by Watershed’s Box Office. Book online or call 0117 927 5100.
One wheelchair space with a companion seat can be booked online per booker. If more are required, please call the box office.
- Watershed’s main entrance and Box Office are both on the ground floor which is accessible via a ramped, electronically assisted entrance door.
- There are two Blue Badge parking spaces to the rear of Watershed on Canons Road.
- Guide dogs and hearing dogs are very welcome.
- The first floor of Watershed is accessible via lift from the main entrance and includes level access to all areas, including the cinemas and event spaces.
- The cinemas and event spaces have induction loops.
- There is an accessible toilet (with baby changing facilities) near Cinema 1. Follow the signs for the Cinemas and the accessible toilet is just on your left through the double doors before Cinema 1.
- There are gender neutral toilets in the cinema corridor on the first floor.
Visit Watershed’s Access page for more information.