First Women in Comedy With Sian Norris and Lucy Porter
Lucy Porter and Sian Norris present a series of short films celebrating pioneering women in film comedy.
Between 1914 and 1919, Universal Studios released 170 movies from women directors. By comparison, between 2007 and 2017, only 53 films directed by women were among the 1,223 which made it into each year’s chart of top 100 movies at the box office.
Featuring films from pioneering directors Alice Guy Blache, Mabel Normand, Lois Weber and more, Lucy and Sian discuss the films and the culture of the period and take a look at women in comedy today. With live piano accompaniment by John Sweeney.
This event is part of Slapstick Festival 2022. See the full programme here. It is also part of Film 2021 which marks the centenary of the death of Bristol-born film pioneer William Friese-Greene and the 125th anniversary of the first public cinema screening in Bristol, which took place at the Tivoli on 8 June 1896, as well as celebrating Bristol – a UNESCO City of Film since 2017. It is generously funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund.
Sian Norris is a writer and journalist specialising in reproductive and LGBTIQ rights. She is the founder of the Bristol Women’s Literature Festival and a regular speaker and contributor with Bristol Ideas.
Lucy Porter is a stand-up comedian, writer and actor who can often be heard on Radio 4 on Just a Minute, Quote…Unquote and The Personality Test.
Booking is managed by Watershed’s Box Office. Book online or call 0117 927 5100.
Events start punctually and, out of consideration to other audience members and speakers, our policy is not to admit latecomers.
Keeping Everyone Safe
Watershed wants to ensure that it is a welcoming and inclusive place for all. Please note that:
- You are required to wear a mask when moving around the building, and when seated in either the cinemas or Waterside spaces (unless exempt).
- The capacity of the cinemas and event spaces is at 75%, ensuring there is space between you and other customers on your row.
- You should not visit you’re feeling unwell and have COVID symptoms.
- Watershed will continue with measures currently in place, including increased and enhanced cleaning regime, provision of hand sanitiser throughout the building, maintaining air flow management plans to ensure adequate ventilation throughout, staff wearing face coverings and keeping contactless payments. If you would like to check in via NHS Test and Trace please feel free to do so, although it will no longer be required to enter the building.
- Watershed’s main entrance and Box Office are both on the ground floor which is accessible via a ramped, electronically assisted entrance door.
- There are two Blue Badge parking spaces to the rear of Watershed on Canons Road.
- Guide dogs and hearing dogs are very welcome.
- The first floor of Watershed is accessible via lift from the main entrance and includes level access to all areas, including the cinemas and event spaces.
- The cinemas and event spaces have induction loops.
- There is an accessible toilet (with baby changing facilities) near Cinema 1. Follow the signs for the Cinemas and the accessible toilet is just on your left through the double doors before Cinema 1.
- There are gender neutral toilets in the cinema corridor on the first floor.
- We offer companion seats without additional charge if required.
Visit Watershed’s Access page for more information.